Infrastructure Australia's report to the Council of Australian Governments, Communicating the Imperative for Action, outlines the areas that Infrastructure Australia will focus its efforts in over four-year period following the release of the report. The report discusses issues affecting cities, water, energy, freight, broadband and Indigenous infrastructure.
The report discusses infrastructure challenges in four key areas:
- decline in productivity growth
- lack of progress on financing and funding reform
- lack of progress in pursuing regulatory reform
- weaknesses in planning and project development.
Infrastructure Australia's main areas of focus are:
- applying the approach taken for the National Ports Strategy to other areas in the infrastructure sector
- looking at financing reform, particularly by developing options to secure private funds for necessary infrastructure investment
- expanding the infrastructure pipeline, with a strong emphasis on projects that could be privately funded, and projects in regional Australia
- encouraging debate about infrastructure and how that infrastructure is paid for.
Note: These are large files. If you experience problems opening the report in your web browser, right-click on one of the above links, and select "Save target as…" in Internet Explorer, "Save link as…" in Firefox and Chrome, or "Download linked file as…" in Safari.