Infrastructure Australia prepared this report to provide governments and the community with a clear set of actions to take advantage of the opportunities offered by the growth of the Asian economies over the next half century.
The report identifies five reforms that will ensure Australia secures the infrastructure it needs:
- Establishing a single national infrastructure fund;
- Moving from grant funding of infrastructure to a system that encourages private investment;
- Selling or long-term leasing of government infrastructure assets and re-investing the proceeds in new infrastructure;
- Wider application of user pays funding arrangements, especially but not only in the freight sector, but on the proviso that users get a say in scoping new projects; and
- Improvements to project governance and procurement to reduce the cost of developing new infrastructure.