The Mooloolah River Interchange proposal is for improvements to the interchange at the intersection of the Sunshine Motorway, Brisbane Road and Nicklin Way, on the Sunshine Coast. These upgrades are intended to increase the capacity of the interchange, reducing travel times and addressing safety risks.
The proposal includes:
- A new two‐lane arterial road that crosses the Mooloolah River
- Duplication of the Sunshine Motorway from two to four lanes
- A free‐flow connection from the Sunshine Motorway southbound to the Sunshine Motorway eastbound
- A third northbound lane on the Sunshine Motorway
- A direct two‐lane northbound connection from Nicklin Way to Brisbane Road
- A new east‐west local road connection between Brisbane Road and Karawatha Drive
- Provision for active transport.
This proposal responds to the existing Mooloolah River Interchange capacity and safety proposal on the Infrastructure Priority list.
The Australian Government has committed $160 million to Package 1 and 2 of the proposal under the Investment Road and Rail Program.