by reviewing current planning and development approvals processes in all Australian jurisdictions.
The report looks at current Australia-wide approval processes for major infrastructure projects and finds three key problems:
- fragmented processes that contain disparate approvals with differing objectives at all levels of government
- multiple layers of approval and decision-making that operate both between and within levels of government
- a lack of strategic planning.
The report proposes:
- a consolidated process and approval framework
- reduction of layers of environmental and planning approvals by integrating agreed local government and Commonwealth assessment and approval functions.